Menu Close

(4.4) What if I do not speak English?

(4.4) What if I do not speak English?

Good communication is essential. If you do not speak English, have trouble understanding English, or feel more comfortable speaking in a different language, tell the regional center as soon as possible. They must provide an interpreter. You can have an interpreter at every meeting, if you need one. You can also bring along a friend or family member who speaks English to help you. But, the regional center cannot make you bring a friend to be your interpreter.

The law gives you the right to:

  • Get translations of your IPP and other documents, and
  • Have an interpreter for meetings or phone conversations.[1]Sections 4502.1 and 4646(h)&(j).

If your regional center will not translate documents or give you an interpreter, call Disability Rights California or OCRA for help.

1 Sections 4502.1 and 4646(h)&(j).