Regional centers can pay for camp and related travel expenses. This was a service that was previously suspended, meaning the regional centers could not pay for it. But, as of July 2021, they can.Section 4648.5(a)
Two other options, Tailored Day Services and Vouchered Community-Based Training Services, allow you to choose and customize your day services. The type and duration of these services is decided through the IPP process and written into the IPP, including the type and amount of services and staffing needed to carry out your plan.
If you choose a Tailored Day Service, it must do two things.
- Have a service design developed through your IPP that makes the most of your own choices and needs. This is usually fewer hours or days than a traditional day program and is flexible to meet your individual needs.
- Give chances for you to get or keep a job, volunteer activities, or education, make the most of your services, and help you integrate in your community.Section 4688.21 (b)(1-7).
A Vouchered Community-Based Training Service (VCBT Service) must help you develop the skills needed for community employment or to participate in volunteer work or education. There are many rules for this customized program including:
- The Service must be provided in a natural environment in the community, but not in your own home;
- If you, your parent, or your conservator is vendored as a VCBT service, you must use a financial management service (FMS);
- Your parent or conservator cannot be your direct support worker;
- If you are vendored as a VCBT Service, you must also be eligible for a regional center-funded bus pass, if appropriate; and,
- A VCBT Service is limited to a maximum of 150 hours per quarter.Section 4688.21 (c)(1-12); see also Title 17, Cal. Code Regs. sections 58884-58888.