Here is a list of places that can help you:Regional center must give you a notice when it proposes to reduce, change, or terminate a service that you are already receiving, or denies a new service you are asking for. The notice must … Continue reading
- Call OCRA at 1-800-390-7032 in Northern California or 1-866-833-6712 in Southern California. They can give you a list of Clients’ Rights Advocates who help people near each of the 21 regional centers.
- Call the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD). It has regional offices that used to be called Area Boards. Go to https://scdd.ca.gov/ or call them at (916) 263-7919.
- Join a self-advocacy group, like People First, to meet other people with developmental disabilities. Call your local Disability Rights California, OCRA, or regional office of the SCDD for the phone number of the People First group near you.
- Call your local family resource center. Find one near you by clicking here.
- If you live in Porterville Developmental Center or Canyon Springs, call your Clients’ Rights Advocate and the Volunteer Advocacy Services Coordinator.
- If you are having problems with vocational services through the Department of Rehabilitation, call DRC’s Client Assistance Program at 800-776-5746 or TTY at 800-719-5798 or go to DRC’s website by clicking here.
- For free or low-cost legal help, contact the legal aid office in your area. Go to: http://laacdirectory.org/.
- If you are having problems with a licensed professional, contact the California Department of Consumer Affairs at: 800-952-5210 or TDD 800-326-2297.
- Call your local county bar association for lawyer referrals in your area.
- Contact one of these non-profit agencies for legal help:
Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund
3075 Adeline Street, Suite 210, Berkeley, CA 94703
Voice: 510-644-2555, TTY 510-841-8645
Mental Health Advocacy Services
3255 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 902, Los Angeles, CA 90010
Voice: 213-389-2077; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deaf Counseling, Advocacy and Referral Agency (DCARA) (Northern California ONLY)
510-343-6670; Email: email@example.com
Disability Rights Advocates
2001 Center Street, Fourth Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704-1204
Voice: 510-665-8644; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Health Advocacy Project
Law Foundation of Silicon Valley
4 Forth Second Street, Suite 1300, San Jose, CA 95113
Disability Rights Legal Center
|↑1||Regional center must give you a notice when it proposes to reduce, change, or terminate a service that you are already receiving, or denies a new service you are asking for. The notice must include advocacy services you may need to appeal the regional center’s decision. See Section 4701(g).|