A supported living agency can give you the services you need to live independently. Before you choose an agency, make sure they understand what you need and can provide the services you need to live on your own.
You can start by saying, “I would like to know more about your agency. Can we set up a time so I can call or visit and ask you some questions?”
- What services can you provide to help me live on my own?
- How can you help me become active in community activities?
- I would like to live in ________. How can you help me live there?
- I like to ________ (for example: dance, have pets). How can you help me do this?
- How soon could you start working with me?
- Please tell me about the staff people who would help me?
- Can I pick the staff person I want to work with me?
- Who would I call if I need help at night or on the weekend?
- Have you ever stopped someone’s support services? Why?
- What do you expect from me?
- What is your agency’s philosophy or “mission statement”?
- How many other people does your agency help?
- Is there anything else you want me to know about your agency?
- Can you give me the names and phone numbers of other people you have helped so I can speak to them?
After you talk to the agency, ask yourself these questions to help you to decide which agency is best for you.
- What did you like about the agency?
- What did you dislike or feel worried about?
Do you have other questions you would like to ask them?