Menu Close

(7.5) How do I get SLS?

(7.5) How do I get SLS?

To get SLS, you must be at least 18 years old and want to live in a house or apartment you own or rent.[1]Title 17 Cal. Code Regs. section 58613(a). If you will be 18 soon, you can ask for an SLS assessment at an IPP meeting to start the process, so you can move when you become eligible for SLS.

Important! Everyone has the right to get SLS. It is against the law to deny SLS to someone because they might need many supports.[2]Section 4689(a)(8) and Title 17 Cal. Code Regs. section 58613(b).

Just as you would do to get ILS, follow these steps to get SLS:

  1. Tell your IPP team you want SLS
  2. Ask for an IPP meeting
  3. Ask for a decision-maker who knows about SLS to be at the IPP meeting

See Supplement H on how to request an IPP meeting.

Some regional centers will ask you to go to an SLS orientation before the IPP meeting. This can help you understand more about SLS and how it is provided. Having to go to the orientation should not delay your IPP meeting for too long.

Once SLS is in your IPP, you need to choose an SLS provider. You have options:

  • You may recommend a relative, friend, or SLS provider you know. Or coordinate the services yourself.
  • You may ask the regional center for names of SLS agencies. You can interview them to decide which agency you prefer. See Supplement O for questions to ask an SLS agency when you interview them.
  • If you give your permission, the regional center may send information about you to several SLS agencies to see which ones are able and interested in serving you. You can interview those agencies.

Once you choose an SLS provider, the regional center should arrange for you to have an SLS assessment. The SLS provider you choose will usually do the assessment. However, some regional centers will have someone else do the assessment. The IPP team will first complete a “standardized assessment questionnaire” when developing, reviewing, or modifying the IPP.[3]Section 4689(p)(1). This is to make sure you receive the appropriate amount and type of supports. The questionnaire is on the DDS website here.

The SLS assessment can take time, as you and the assessor must get to know each other. The assessor will look at the services and supports you need and want to live in your own home and integrate into your community. They will do a comprehensive assessment to get to know you and to develop a plan.[4]Section 4689(p)(2)

The SLS provider will coordinate the services and supports that you need to live in your own home. These are listed in your IPP and SLS plan, including services from generic agencies or natural supports. The provider does not need a special license to provide SLS. The provider may be a supported living agency or a family member or friend.[5]17 Cal. Code Regs. section 58616. You may coordinate the services yourself.

Once the SLS plan is complete, you may need another IPP meeting. If the SLS plan is approved, the SLS agency can help you find a place to live, find roommates if you need or want them, and hire personal support people. It can take up to six months from the time you first ask for SLS until you move into your home.

The regional center will look at how good your services are and how well they work – whether the provider is your family, friends, or an SLS agency.[6]Section 4689(e).

1 Title 17 Cal. Code Regs. section 58613(a).
2 Section 4689(a)(8) and Title 17 Cal. Code Regs. section 58613(b).
3 Section 4689(p)(1).
4 Section 4689(p)(2)
5 17 Cal. Code Regs. section 58616.
6 Section 4689(e).