Menu Close

(1.7) What other agencies provide services and supports?

(1.7) What other agencies provide services and supports?

DDS pays for most services and supports through contracts with regional centers. 

Sometimes other agencies pay for the services and support instead of the regional center. Under the Lanterman Act, services provided by other agencies are “generic” resources or services. “Generic services are those available to the public through publicly-funded agencies.[1]Section 4648(a)(8). You may need the regional center to coordinate services or advocate to help you get generic services from agencies like:

  • School districts
  • Department of Rehabilitation
  • Medi-Cal or Medicare
  • California Children’s Services (CCS)
  • In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and other agencies 

“Natural” supports are the free help you get from family, friends, neighbors, and others in your community.[2]Section 4512(e). Services paid for by the regional center – like independent living or supported living services – can help you develop, strengthen, or expand your natural supports.

1 Section 4648(a)(8).
2 Section 4512(e).